ADbrite

Your Ad Here

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Political Hammock

Posted
on my Friendster’s Bulletin Board is a punchline that says, “Bad
politicians are elected by good people who do not vote.” Whatever my
friend’s reason might be for posting such line, it caught my attention
and made me pause and ponder, I could be one of those reasons why our
current government system is full of bad politicians.

I
did not stand here to deliver a depressing speech of disgust and hatred
in our current government system. Nor am I here to praise. Here I
stand, on political will, because I still believe that the Philippines
is worth believing, somehow.

For
the past few years, our country has been plagued with so much
controversy that it would seem hard to believe that the peso-dollar
rate is up to a miraculous P49.

Someone
told me once that the Philippines is like a beggar sitting on a
mountain of gold. If it be true, then the political turmoil that
envelops our nation would certainly aggravate the sufferings of this
beggar—can you imagine slapping the face of a young frail girl?
That’s how our country suffers.

We
are one nation with different ideologies. We are one people with
different cries. We are one, but so very diverse, and so very divided.
And it is not bad to have different views in life but it seems that we
cannot compromise.

I
think that the last news I have watched on television was when the
widow of Fernando Poe Jr. was delivering a very emotional and
sensationalized speech over a large crowd, and it was also the time
when Loren Legarda was fervently working out for the reinvestigation of
election returns. I might sound so historical, and I have reason to be.
I don’t know what happened to Legarda’s pleas, or to Roces’
accusations, because since then, I decided not to watch television or
to read the newspaper because I was too tired of entertaining this
political turmoil. I’m tired of reading about EDSA revolution for the
nth time, after all, the EDSA revolutions the Filipinos have plotted
are losing integrity and losing its touch.

And
then I became ignorant of the latest issues, to the effect that I
cannot even follow our class discussions in Political Law. You might
say, is this apathy? But I would certainly defend myself by saying that
this is how I exercise my right. I am not indifferent, I just choose
not to enter the maze. After all, I still care. And this sweet
suffering of staying in this country is a fool-proof evidence of my
love for this nation. Young people these days are eager to take up
Nursing in the hope of landing good jobs abroad. I’m not saying that it
is bad, but it’s not all good. At least, we are taking our part in
maintenance of health worldwide. We are top exporters, not only of
nurses and domestic helpers, but also of instant brides, can we blame
them? No one can blame them for it is clear that in this country, the
pastures aren’t green. Can we blame it to the government? I’d just say,
“I have the right to remain silent.”

If
only people would stop wearing crowns on their heads, if only people
would be sincere in what they do, if only… They say that it is either
you change the system or the system will change you. If you want to
change the system, start by changing your self. But it is not as easy
as it sounds.

I
might be living in the mere hope that someday, this beggar would have
new clothes and would use her gold before it is eventually lost and
wasted. A little candle might not be enough to light a large room, but
at least, there’s light. I believe in this country, no matter how
wounded this might be.

And
so, before I end, I wish that nobody among you would accuse me of
putting bad politicians in office. For after all, I am still not a
registered voter.

This was the speech i delivered at my forensics class last semester.
~spread the angst! ehehe

No comments: